I am going to stick my neck out there and offer an unpopular opinion, at least unpopular to speak aloud: I like U2. A lot.
No. I do not think they are not the greatest band ever. But they are pretty awesome. Feel free to disagree. That’s one reason music is so awesome, there is so much of it.
Whether you like them or not, you cannot deny that they are the biggest band in music right now, and have been for, oh, I don’t know 20 years. They sell out every show in every country. Their albums sell as fast as they can be made. They have 12 albums which have sold 180 million copies (60 million more, or so, than Dylan). That’s insane. More Grammys than anyone else.
Here are the 7 reasons I like U2:
- They are audacious – the most expensive, and most successful tour, ever – 7million+ tickets, 110 sold out shows and literally hundreds of semis to move it around
- The lyrics matter – drop the music and the words are still awesome.
- They stick to who they are – a little strange, and kind of out there sometimes, but they embrace it.
- The Edge – uses a different guitar on every song on stage; also, this
- Causes – all bands should have one, and support it, quietly
- Innovation – yes they stick to who they are, but they also innovate
- Producers – the band has worked with Eno and Danger Mouse, just to name a couple