Despite cinema’s wholly subjective nature, everyone knows that there are movies that are bad. Just outright bad. Maybe it’s the acting. Maybe it’s the cheesy effects. Maybe the script is so stilted and confusing that even the presence of great actors can’t make it good.
And yet, we still watch, and more importantly, love.
There’s nothing wrong with that. Everyone has a few movies that they watch over and over despite their terribleness.
Here are my favorite bad movies, in no particular order:
- Tron – Sure it’s a classic. Sure it has Jeff Bridges. And glowing things. But have you seen it lately? It’s terrible. It was a show piece for new exciting technology. The Geek in me love it. The kid who grew up with it, loves Tron. But it’s not very good.
- Varsity Blues – It stars James Vanderbeek, a.k.a. Dawson Leary. That’s enough right? Oh don’t forget there’s a whipped cream bikini, a stripper teacher and one cliché on top of another. Then again, it kind of reminded me of my high school.
- Jerry Maguire – We all showed him the money, and we’re inspired, moved and empowered by this movie. But really take a close look and it’s predictable, corny and not even best actor winner Cuba Gooding Junior does much acting.
- American Pie – Sure, it was high school. But it’s ridiculous. Then there was another, and another and I hear there’s a new one too. I cant’ flip past it on TV, and I own it. On the other hand, we did get MILF out of it.
- The Fast and the Furious – Do I need to say more? No. But I will be at the midnight showing of Fast 5. With a cocktail, so I can stomach it.
- The Rock – One of them can’t act without wagging his fingers and hissing, and the other sounds like maybe he had just a little stroke. This movie is an excuse to drive a Ferrari over the hills of San Francisco. That’s all, and you know what… I am all for it!
- Stargate – Plot holes big enough to fly a pyramid through and James Spader facing of with Kurt Russell.